I asked him what he does wih this hallowed half hour.
"Ah, I just start work early"
When I told him this, he kind of just rolled his eyes and looked at me funny.
I looked back at him perplexed.
I am about to spend TEN HOURS holding a baby and doing everything one-handed, including going to the toilet and cutting cheese.
I'm generous. I told him, I didn't even want the half hour.
Just give me 15 minutes...
In 15 minutes I will:
- Find something to wear which is not yesterdays clothes/leggings I've slept in for 3 days
- DRY my hair instead of letting it dry in that horrible frizzy/wavy shape it otherwise dries into. Or at least the fringe.
- Pee. Alone
- Eat the only meal I'm getting until 9pm (if I can be bothered to make a meal by then)
- Clean up a little in preparation for the onslaught of crazy baby mess.
- Check my emails - maybe I won't miss anything important this week if I can just get 5 minutes to CHECK MY DAMN EMAILS!!
- Take out the massive pile of rubbish which is taking over my kitchen
- Let the dog pee - it takes me ages to get to the actual point of being able to take the baby out, to get him dressed, pulled the pram out of the car/located the baby sling and found those tiny little baby socks!
- Find a pair of my own damned socks!
- Maybe even have a cup of tea... (I can dream, right?)
Never underestimate the power of a good 15 minutes of baby-free freedom!